Ok, I will admit to being a total resort snob. There are certain things I need when I am away from home and Disney Deluxe Resorts tick off all of my hypothetical must need boxes. After two stays at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort- I found my own Shangri La…
I first stayed at the Grand this past November and I instantly fell in love. Standard rooms are HUGE, clean, and comfortable. Tall ceilings, florals everywhere and always a smiling cast member or two to greet you in any and all of the public spaces.
When you check in, you are given a list of amenities and activities that will be ongoing during your stay…
This past February, I had the priviledge of staying in the Royal Palm Club with my family- and it lived up to every expectation we had. We had just stayed at Pop, and to compare-
- We were greeted with 4 pillows on each of the Queen sized beds plus a long, neck roll pillow.
- Massive amounts of toiletries were found in our bathroom- shampoo AND conditioner, lotions, etc. On our desk, The Grand Floridian even provided big repellant for us to use during our stay to help prevent the spread and/or contraction of the Zika virus (this was NOT provided to us at Pop).
- Interior hallways- and when staying in the Royal Palm Club, we stepped right out to beautiful music and an even more beautiful view of the main lobby.
- Closets- we had 2 large closets with doors, plenty of hangers, and mirrors.
- Sinks- we had a massive vanity that held double sinks. We also had a wet bar inside our room inside the Royal Palm Club- giving us a third sink if we needed it.
- PLENTY of room for our family of 5 with 2 Queen sized beds and a daybed.
- A balcony- fresh air is my friend and it gave us some more square footage in our private oasis of Walt Disney World.
- A wide variety of places to eat and things to do to keep you occupied without ever stepping foot inside a theme park.
- Location, location, location- so very close to the Magic Kingdom with a no longer than a 10 minute commute to the front gates via monorail or ferry boat. The monorail to deliver you to Epcot and buses to Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom.
- Nightly turndown service… I cannot get enough of a little bite of chocolate before heading to bed on vacation.
- A coffee maker INSIDE our room. Our room at Pop did NOT have one.
- Concierge Level access- now this isn’t something included with every Grand Floridian stay- but it is an option in a Disney deluxe resort if you would like to add this enhancement to your vacation.
The biggest Con- and it is a big one… cost. One night’s stay can be a small mortgage payment for some, especially in some of the higher room categories. That being said, a stay at Disney’s Grand Floridian is a true luxury. It, for both myself and my family, was pure relaxation. When we arrived in February we had intended to head back into the parks that evening- but we chose to stay at the Grand because it was so inviting and relaxing.
Another con someone might argue is that for that high of a cost, there isn’t much privacy or exclusiveness for guests staying in every other level than the Royal Palm Club (which is keyed off from the main lobby). I can completely see that side of it too. It has been compared in some circles as “Old Money Opulence” – showy and over the top. That said, both of the rooms I have stayed in were very quiet and a very welcomed retreat after a long day. I will admit, The Royal Palm Club’s lounge was crowded in the morning with families trying to grab breakfast before heading out for the day- however, the cast members were very quick with refreshing all of the offerings and making sure everyone was comfortable and felt welcomed. There was always a clean table to sit and relax, but it was far from private nor exclusive and the lobby below was bustling with guests visiting the resort’s restaurants for breakfast and doing some shopping in the Grand’s exclusive store as well.
Bottom line- myself and my family would stay here again in a heartbeat. In fact, I will be there for two nights in a little more than 8 weeks for the Pandora — The World of Avatar Inaugural Expedition Event. Then, in November, my family & I are returning to the Royal Palm Club for a few nights ahead of our Disney Cruise Line long weekend on the Disney Dream.